Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lubbock Weekend

I just returned from a short but wonderful weekend in Lubbock (wait, there's more) with my son Clay. See - you knew it couldn't just be about Lubbock. Clay throws for the Texas Tech Track team. He throws weight this time of year at their Indoor Meets and discus, hammer and maybe javelin in the springtime at their Outdoor Meets. It was cold, windy and dusty in Lubbock but gratefully this was the Indoor Meet.

I always try very hard to be in the perfect spot to take the perfect photograph. The bubble at Tech gives you no such 'perfect' vantage-point. The weight ring has net all around it and there's no good shot. The stands are above looking down. And it's not close at all. It's frustrating but it's Clay so I do my best.

As I started my editing this morning of the several hundred photos I took of Clay I began my usual "out of focus"... "not interesting" deleting but then I started thinking. These are my son's memories. Is it more important that every single one is perfect or that we have the memories? The answer was obvious.

I can't tell you the number of people who come up to me apologizing about the Christmas card they sent to me because the photo isn't as good (in their opinion) as I would have taken. Or complaining that they can't take photographs at all so they don't even try. I absolutely love that you love my work (I really do) and I wouldn't have my job if you didn't. But I want you to try to enjoy your own photographs more. Ask me questions about what you did wrong (and right). I'm always happy to help. Relax...take more photographs and enjoy what you get. When you do, you'll take better photographs without even trying.

I enjoyed every minute of my time in Lubbock (how often do you hear that?) and I especially loved spending time with Clay and capturing this wonderful time in his life. He's going to have some wonderful memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment